Build Your Team
One program may have several groups that conduct the Hazard Hunt in their respective departments. For example, K-BOSSS may have 3 teams that participate: Basic Initial Issue, Power House, and the Central, Receiving & Shipping Point. Each group must appoint a leader who is responsible for submitting the required milestone information. Make sure you include your program’s ESH point of contact.
There are two ways to register your team:
- If you have access to the SharePoint site, register your team using this form.
- Submit your team registration via email here.
The team registration deadline is June 18, 2021. If you have not registered your team by this time, you will not be able to participate in the competition.
MILESTONE 1: HAZARD IDENTIFICATION
- Identify a minimum of one environmental, safety, or health hazard on your program.
- Take a video or photos (1 video or 3 photos limit) of the hazard to document the issue. Make sure the photo file size is 1 MB or larger, and include people (remove CAC cards and IDs!)
- Write a summary with the who, what, when, where, and why these items are a hazard.
- Submit the video and/or photos and summary to the Hazard Hunt SharePoint site or email them here before the July 9 deadline.
- The information must be submitted before each deadline. If you miss any of the deadlines, that hazard will be eliminated from the competition.
JUDGING YOUR HAZARD
Your Milestone 1 submission will be judged by the following criteria:
Do(es) the hazard(s) submission(s)
- Include the assessment tool(s) or method used to discover/identify the hazard?
- Include pictures or videos to show and demonstrate the hazard?
Does the write-up mention:
- The potential severity of the hazard causing injury, illness, property, or environmental damage?
- The likelihood of the hazard causing injury or environmental damage?
- The potential impact on operations or delivery of services?
Minimal (1/3): Inadequate use of identification tools/assessment methods; submitted media that depicts the hazard; written description of the hazard lacks detail.
Moderate (2/3): Adequate use of identification tools/assessment methods; submitted media that depicts the hazard; written description of the hazard.
Best (3/3): Clear use of identification tools/assessment methods; submitted media that depicts the hazard; written description of the hazard is detailed.
GRAB YOUR TOOLBOX
Check out your MILESTONE 1 TOOLBOX for helpful tips, information and tools provided to assist you in identifying hazards around your program area.
SHOW AND TELL
Check this out! Take out your smartphone and start recording. Keep it simple and tell us about the hazard you found. REMEMBER OPSEC! Only record and photograph where you are allowed and remove all CAC and ID cards.
MILESTONE 1 IN VIDEO
Not comfortable with video? Then show us in pictures! Tell the story with people and captions. Again, REMEMBER OPSEC! Only record and photograph where you are allowed, and remove all CAC and ID cards.
MILESTONE 1 IN PHOTOS
Hazard hunting in the records storage area.
HAZARD IDENTIFIED: The boxes are stacked too high for the employee to remove safely.
Submit your files on SharePoint here